Tuesday, September 24, 2013

13th Mar 2012: Escape Chenarus/Hijack



Answering the call: 
Dan "Danny Boy" 
Richard "Plancake" 
Ivan "Ivan" 
Steven "Caverick" 
Christian "Girard Family" 
Greg "Berklesnort" 
and the triumphant return of Gavin "Nimrod"!


ESCAPE CHENARUS


Having secured an ammo cache last week, it was time to take the comm centre so we could call for help. Dan and I, Dragunov sniper rifles in hand, recced the objective. It didn't look good. A Shilka, a BMP, static defenses and a buttload of infantry awaited us:


Fortunately, having taken the ammo dump we had heavy weapons at the ready:


Once in position, we counted down and unleashed a cataclysmic torrent of destruction. The communist armour was reduced to smoking hulks in seconds, and we mowed down the infantry. Christian and I approached from the treeline to the south (even though we couldn't communicate with each other!), the rest of the squad moved down the hill, and in a few minutes we'd captured the comm centre! I called our forces for help:


The reply told us to make for a beach extraction. The EP was miles and miles away!
Undaunted, we scraped together the vehicles we had captured and formed a convoy:


We then drove together on an epic journey across the length of Chenarus, getting pot shots taken at us along the way:


The trip was so long we even stopped at a servo to refuel!


Eventually we reached the beach:

Some US jet boats came to pick us up:

Just then, tragedy struck. Nimrod lagged out and couldn't see the boats! When he got in a truck Ivan tried to drive him closer but this only left him in a vehicle that slowly sank into the sea:

So Nimrod gallantly disconnected and we won the mission!


HIJACK

The fishing boat inserted us on a beach at the north end of Utes island. We armed ourselves to attack the convoy, and Plancake and I went up the hill to get eyes on it. I blundered in front of a static defense like a total n00b and was instantly cut down, as was Dan behind me. Plancake capped Boris and revived us, then we scouted the town.

SPLAT set to work mining the road and laying charges. I went further up the hill to look for the convoy.

Suddenly I saw a full squad of eight Bori advancing down the hill toward me. As I pondered whether to open fire, I heard the sound of engines- the convoy had arrived! Which target had priority?
Reasoning that if I fired on the convoy I had eight soldiers at my back, I trusted my squadmates with the convoy, raised my assault rifle and opened up on the squad. I caught them by surprise and saw them mill around in confusion, but before they could recover and return fire I had shot seven and the eighth fled back up the hill.

I turned around. Something was wrong. The convoy, possibly because of my battle, had left the road and pulled up. Soldiers were streaming from a large truck! I sent a rifle grenade at a UAZ with a 50 cal but missed, and they cut me down. I had stupidly gone to my position solo, and had to respawn.

It was on, big time. House to house action was all around and bullets sprayed everywhere. Given that the convoy had armour and we had no AT capability we were in serious trouble of being routed. Luckily the tank rolled onto the road and Dan, thinking quickly, thumbed the activator of his satchel. The tank erupted into smoking metal, and we had a chance!


SPLAT pulled together and pressed the attack. We encountered stiff resistance- the reds weren't giving the town up without a fight. As we were pinned down and Boris began an assault, our teamwork began to kick in. We talked it up, directing each others fire, and took them down. It must be said that at this part of the mission Nimrod really excelled, taking down fifteen of the enemy. At another point I saw an enemy machine gunner throw himself into long grass. I wasn't sure exactly where he was, so I put a few bullets into the grass and flushed him out! He got up to run, and I took him out.

At another point two of the enemy were holed up at a house, hitting us hard and avoiding our fire. I jumped on a 50 cal and let the house have it just as Ivan ran into rambo them- blue on blue! Once we'd taken the enemy out I tried to revive him but couldn't, and he had to respawn.

Once we had secured the fuel truck, UAZ and Ural we proceeded to the airfield and Nimrod had to leave.  Plancake and Dan(?) led in the UAZ:


They found a couple of guards at the gate that were dealt with, then Dan and Plancake were both hit by snipers on the rooftops. Christian returned fire from the hill while I ran down to help. Dan respawned and I threw myself behind the wreck of the UAZ. Bullets spanged off the metal all around, but I was able to reach Richard, drag him to cover and revive him.

We fought back against the snipers. I got one, but they were good. Very good. Suddenly an ammo truck roared down the hill, parked itself in front to cover us and Ivan jumped out.

We had soon taken out the snipers, so I advanced to the first building. Just then it became apparent that a couple of guards and snipers were merely those on watch. The rest of the unit had woken up and the map turned red. I was caught against the building wall as all hell broke loose.

It was here that teamwork really won the day. At one point the enemy was rounding the corner of the building I was at only to be cut down by Plancake. Another time four commies pulled off an excellent flank maneuver, climbing the hill to the east and running down toward Plancake and Ivan's exposed left flank- because I was further down I could see them and got them before they could take us out. Another time I ran toward the hangar, realised I was exposed, turned to see a Boris drawing a bead on me- and he blew up from Plancake's rifle grenade!

Running around the hangar, I found myself pulling the same trick on the enemy and approaching their exposed left flank. I was able to pick off at least 4 before their UAZ with grenade launcher returned and drove me back with shrapnel wounds. As I healed myself Plancake shot the UAZ's gunner, I shot the driver, and Richard captured the vehicle. We had eyes on our ticket home:


I jumped on the RPG launcher, pumped a bunker full of HE, and we secured the airport. The only other resistance was a distant BMP. I seceded the mounted launcher for an RPG I found in an ammo crate, and hit the BMP with a couple of rockets. It returned the favour, and I lay on the ground screaming while Richard and Greg(?) chased down and destroyed the BMP and its crew.

The Hind was finally ours!


We refuelled it, and with my squadmates navigating and directing I flew us out to the aircraft carrier. Another win for SPLAT!


No comments:

Post a Comment