Wednesday, September 25, 2013

25th Sep 2012: Midnight Sun/Secure Oilfields


Mission: MIDNIGHT SUN


Rhe rematch.

We started off with Dan, Christian and I. We seized an opportunity for extra lives just after insertion when the other chopper was caught on the ground and exploded. After healing the occupants we headed up the west side of the river.  Christian (the marksman) took the high ground while Dan (medic) and I (team lead with crappy gun) engaged the enemy on the riverbank. This meant we attacked from two directions, and though we were winged with enemy fire we took down the whole patrol and a couple of enemy from the mortar base.

We then attacked the outpost on the north side of the dam. We met heavy resistance with enemy snipers that not only took out Dan and I but also hit Christian up in the mountains! Fortunately we were not all hit at the same time, were able to revive each other and press the attack. Dan and I stormed the building and took it, while Christian hit the more tactically important SPG truck. He sniped the gunner and driver, and it was ours.

We then moved south across the dam and attacked the mortar base. Fortunately the bulk of their force had left the safety of the base and were moving north, and Dan and I cut them down quickly. We captured the base, Dan got on the mortars for the first time and had a merry old time bombarding the fields to the northwest (racking up five kills with a single shot).

Although we hadn't destroyed the base yet, the Hind gunship caught wind of us and lifted from the airfield. I'd kept the SPG truck ready in anticipation of its attack, and had it waiting on the dam wall. I hit the chopper while it was still far off. The enemy pilot, however, pulled off a Crowning Moment of Awesome. Not only did he autorotate the chopper to a successful landing the crew could walk away from, but he actually managed to bring it down at the north end of the dam wall, jump out and personally exact revenge- he shot me out of the truck with his AK!

Christian held off the attack while Dan revived me, then we mopped up the crew and headed for the Shilka. We were met by a large force coming along the riverbank, but some good fighting (especially from our AI) held them.
Once we'd pushed them far enough back I tried to hit the Shilka with the SPG, but couldn't take it out. Greg and Dan entered the compound to do it the old fashioned way, but were taken out by some stubborn resistance. While they were being revived an AI took out the last enemy gunner there, and I was able to satchel the Shilka.

Greg and Ivan joined us, just in time to press the attack on the airfield. Greg had a lot of frustration with missing NV goggles (the AI he took over must have gone for a swim). We took out a couple of the static guns and were able to get Dan into an Su25, but one of the guns winged him and he ploughed into the riverbed.

Greg, Christian and I roared onto the airfield in the SPG truck, but we underestimated the enemy strength and had to run from the truck, leaving it on the runway. There was a long running gun battle. Christian took out the ones on the tarmac, while I mopped up some flankers along the riverbed. Once it was clear enough I ran for the truck, drove it to the hangars and jumped in the other Su25. I taxied to the start of the runway, and was shot and killed by a static gun we missed! Christian took it out and revived me, and I found the jet was still flyable, so I took off. However I was also hit by another MG, lost power and cratered.

There was only one objective to go, and SPLAT hit it from all angles. Christian and Ivan came from the airfield, Dan and Greg approached along the river, and I'd visited the weapons cache. I pumped about 20 grenades from a grenade launcher into it, ran in and placed a satchel, and we won!


Mission: SECURE OILFIELDS


We tried this again. This time we split into twos and threes and spread out around the derricks. We fared much better, even (apparently) wiping out the entire enemy force that attacked Lazelar. However as we geared up to take the fight north, one of the enemy crept in and satcheled the last derrick.

I had a great moment when I ran toward a derrick to defend it from three apporaching t-72 tanks! I only had one SMAW shot, but figured it was better than nothing. However before I could take the shot I came under fire (and was hit) by a soldier with an MG, and ran into a shipping container for cover.
I couldn't hit the guy, and had to wait till he moved on. By then, the tanks were parked... all around the container! A total worst-case scenario.
Just wanting to get my shot off before dying, I leaped out and shot one point blank. Somehow, I didn't die. the crew jumped out, I shot one, and then headed for the safest place I could think of... into the tank! I jumped in, and the turret still worked! I hosed down the rest of the crew, blew up the other two tanks, sent an HE shell into a truck full of troops (launching it into the air) and shot down a chopper! Who knew I could take down all of that with one SMAW in hand? The fortunes of war...

No comments:

Post a Comment