Monday, September 23, 2013

1st Sep 2011: Insurgent Airfield


Mission: INSURGENT AIRFIELD


The black hawk lifted into the sky. The SPLAT squad members who had answered the call sounded off:

"Plancake" : sniper/squad leader
Christian : sniper.
Dan : SMAW/rifleman.
Greg : Rifleman.
Caverick: Grenadier.

Dan and I scouted ahead while Richard herded his AI cats. I got a look at Dan's new face:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/splat_squadron/photos/album/1699373353/pic/273946548/view?picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

We stopped at the treeline and waited until we were all in position, then Christian picked off the tower sniper and everything hit the fan. We were assaulted by two forces: one at the bottom of the hill that advanced to close range, and another from the top of the hill.

It was pandemonium. When the first group moved in close I couldn't even see them. Bullets flew everywhere. A couple of grenades went off. Richard barked orders to the AI left and right. I was hit and crawled back into the gully (the reason why it's such a great ambush spot), then went over and revived Greg, then shot someone on the hill, then revived Greg again, then was hit bad. I bellied back into the gully and went to heal myself but the only option was "bandage wound". I did this and found that I couldn't walk- I'd stand up, take a step and come down again. Richard came over to revive me (I spotted an Ivan running through the trees and shot him as he did so), but I still couldn't walk.

By this time the first battle was over. We'd taken a lot of hits but somehow survived. Dan ran out of bullets and ran back to the LZ for more.

Everyone gathered round me. I was a bloody mess, and seemed to have been kneecapped. I started to belly up the hill when Richard said to stop. He had an idea. After a while he figured out how to order the AI medic to have a go at healing me. It didn't seem to work at first, but after a little more falling down I was able to walk again. A miracle!

We moved up on the hill. Christian had my back while I moved into firing position. I took my first shot at the north side of the tower just as Rich asked us to wait for the rest of the squad. Oops. I hit my target (I sent another one there for good measure), but he wasn't alone. There were at least three guys up there AND a pickup with 50 cal! I launched a grenade at the pickup just as someone shot me down (was it me that got it?).

As I was dragged back and revived, SPLAT finished taking the hill! We had a few casualties though. I revived an AI, Plancake tried to get to Dan and revive him but was too late. Christian climbed the tower for a look around, and I drove the pickup over to the tower to set up our group photo.

But it was not to be. As we waited for Dan to run back to us (this time with a sniper rifle), Plancake lost connection. This meant that we couldn't get him or the AI away from the tower, and we had to blow it up. I got a quick group photo:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/splat_squadron/photos/album/1699373353/pic/1166696451/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc

Then we cleared the area, hoped Richard was far enough away, and Christian set off the charge:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/splat_squadron/photos/album/1699373353/pic/2134157075/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc

Unfortunately this gave Richard (who I think was just reconnecting) a case of Cav Knee.

Dan jumped on the back of the pickup, and we drove down to the rock wall. As soon as I stopped at the wall, I was hit by one of the control tower snipers and had to run. Christian arrived and returned fire but couldn't get their range. I tried a few times to hit the pickup gunner but it was too far for my assault rifle to be accurate.
Once I found out Richard still couldn't walk I went back up to help him but didn't have the option to heal him. He was in a bad way:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/splat_squadron/photos/album/1699373353/pic/1429055861/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc

I moved to the top of the hill and kept trying to hit the pickup with no success. Three guys were headed our way though. Richard slowly arrived and I moved to help him, getting stuck behind a tree next to him as Ivan opened up with an MG. Wood splinters flew everywhere, it was really precarious. Richard, who wasn't able to exchange his pistol for his sniper rifle, got hit again. I grabbed him and slowly dragged him back, trying to keep the tree between us (not that I could even see Ivan). The tension was so intense. I was winged again dragging Rich across a road, but managed to get him back into the trees and revive him.

Once Richard was back with us we ran down to the rocks, and he began to put that sniper rifle to work. He took out the tower snipers and the pickup gunner. Christian and Dan also used their sniper rifles, and we fought back hard:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/splat_squadron/photos/album/1699373353/pic/984824080/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc

It reached a kind of stalemate. The range was difficult and once they crossed the airstrip they could get under our guns. Once they began to approach in force, It wasn't looking good.

Greg suggested we move our assault down the hill to the west. Richard stayed behind to cover. Greg and I went ahead of Dan, reasoning that he had the sniper rifle and was more valuable. I ran across an open field, managed to shoot an insurgent inside a hangar, and made it into a gully, where I verified that the second pickup had been taken out.

Just then I was hit, I didn't see who by. Greg said he'd come to get me. I told him not to because I didn't know where Ivan was. Greg said "What are my legs? Steel springs!" (from the movie "Gallipoli") and bravely sprinted across the open field to come to my aid:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/splat_squadron/photos/album/1699373353/pic/4689244/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc

About this time they finally got Richard.

Once I was revived I looked back at the pickup, and saw a man behind it. Then another, and another... a whole formation! I looked to my right to tell Greg, and saw both Greg and Dan ready. The three of us were in a good firing position, biding our time for the right moment.
"Fire!"

We cut them down. Ivan returned fire but they were dropped like bowling pins. I thought we were going to win until the pickup with 50 cal roared over the hill toward us. I shot at it a few times, but just couldn't hit the gunner. As it peppered us with bullets a truck came over the hill too, and we were overwhelmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment