Wednesday, September 25, 2013

26 Jun 2012: Delta Force II/Assasination of Kahazi


Mission: DELTA FORCE II

Those who served: Caverick, Plancake, Berklesnort, Josh

Tasked with retrieving intel from an Al-Queda base, we found ourselves on a windswept plain near a village in Zargabad. Climbing a hill, we came under intense fire from a large group of insurgents. We fought them off with difficulty, then proceeded south over the hill to the edge of the city.

Worse was to come. The mooj flanked us beautifully and we were almost completely wiped out. If it wasn't for Josh's reviving us, the mission would have ended there, but he brought us back from the brink. We hit back at the mooj and swept down the hill to capture the first of two rendezvous points.

As we attempted to press into the city toward the Al-Queda HQ, the mooj counterattacked in force and actually drove us out of rendezvous point one. This stopped us spawning there, and we were soon back where we started at the insertion point.

Bloodied but unbroken, SPLAT pushed back hard. Josh had repeated technical difficulties and had to drop out, but we were able to regain RV #1 and assault enemy positions in the city. A lot of fire was exchanged at medium to long range and a couple of flanking attempts were repulsed.

Rich then got behind the wheel of an RPG truck, Greg jumped on theback with the launcher, and they took the heat while I threaded through the buildings looking for the HQ.

At last I found their compound and encountered only light resistance as I ran up stairs and through shopfronts. I took posession of a laptop as the battle raged outside. Finally there was a loud blast, the building shook and smoke wafted past the windows. Al Queda had brought up rockets of their own, and taken out our truck!

I ran downstairs and peeked out into the street. The truck was a blazing wreck, Rich and Greg littering the road and moaning in agony. I spotted one mooj across the street behind a tree, but as I aimed at him two more suddenly ran across the road right in front of me! There was a furious exchange at short range, but I got all three and was able to get out and rescue my comrades.

I continued searching as Rich and Greg held off the enemy. I found a satellite phone, then had to go and help my comrades again as they were hit by sustained fire. Fortunately the enemy had moved on by the time I got there, so I was able to revive them.

By the time I'd found some Al-Queda documents, Richard and Greg were engaged in another pitched battle with some enemy reinforcements. I ran to a pickup with 50 cal that we'd taken out, drove up and screeched to a halt near the battle. Greg jumped in, Rich took the gun and I floored it out of there as a couple of bullets spanged off the vehicle.

We withdrew to the insertion point to think and plan. The extraction point was on the other side of the city, and had to be cleared first. I drove, Greg got out the map and directed, and with Rich hammering fire at enemy patrols we wound our way through the outskirts of the city.

As soon as we stopped, Richard deployed the mobile respawn. It was a good thing too, we were set upon from all directions. To the north and west was the city, to the east and south were open fields with oil pipes and trees. The enemy were everywhere. We stood together until driven apart by fire. Josh came in to help, but crashed before he could reach us. At one point Richard and I were barricaded in a little yard with Greg cut off to the north. Richard ran out of ammo and had to scavenge some. Walls were blown down with RPGs, it was chaos.

When the dust finally settled we stood in the open field of the extraction point. I radioed for pickup and when the chinook swept in from the south I felt relieved. It was a hard battle, but we'd made it!

Then the chopper was hit by MG fire from somewhere in the city, and came down roughly onto the sand. The crew immediately jumped out. Uh-oh. Rich climbed in and confirmed that it would never fly again.

That's it man, game over man, game over! What could we do now? I headed into the city to at least seek revenge on the guy that brought down the chopper. Greg, however, was thinking clearly and noted that the border was a couple of kilometeres away on the map.

So after a fierce fight against a small force we captured another pickup and jumped in. We drove all the way to the border, and won the mission!

ASSASSINATION OF KAHAZI

Those who served: Caverick, Plancake, Berklesnort.

SPLAT had attempted to take out the terrorist leader a few times before, without success. Could we achieve it this time?

Greg stook staring into space, contemplating this for many long (afk) minutes. While I was waiting for him to snap out of his PTSD, I inspected some ammo crates and swapped my M9 pistol for a sweet golden six-shooter revolver. I then hefted my FAL sniper rifle with night vision scope, and climbed onto the little bird.

We were inserted onto a rocky mountain, and immediately ran downhill through the Takistan darkness. Spotlights swept the black. The mooj were cautious.

The three of us crested a hill, moved down from the skyline and surveyed the scene. Somewhere in the town below, busy with troops, waited Kahazi. Above the town a small outpost watched the mountains. Watched for us.

SPLAT took position and called out targets. Once we were lined up I counted down, gave the order, and we fired as one. A few bullets later all the sentries were down.

Greg covered the town, Richard began to make his way to the mountains on the other side, and I crept down toward the compound. Two soldiers inside the barracks were dispatched, then I went in and found their laptop computer. One quick download later, and we had the current position of Kahazi on the map.

Greg, meanwhile, had kicked the hornet's nest. When the first few soldiers had fallen to his sniping the rest milled around in confusion, but soon they realized that their enemy was on the mountain above them, and some began to climb. They also called in air support- HQ radioed us that a Hind gunship was inbound!

It was here that our previous attempts had failed- we'd stayed too long, or they simply overwhelmed us with numbers. I withdrew to Greg's position, and while he aimed at the troops in the town with his more powerful scope, I concentrated on those that climbed toward us. This time, however, Richard was on the opposite mountain, and any attempt to storm one of our positions made them vulnerable to the other. Luck was on our side, too. A great fire blazed on a mountain in the distance where the gunship had come down though pilot error.

Greg was in great form, taking down mooj after mooj and taking out most of the force single-handed. Our main concern was the ominous sight of a T-52 tank in the middle of the town. We only had sniper rifles, and not even a frag grenade to challenge it with. However when I cut down a running solider and saw he had an RPG on his back, I saw my chance.

With Greg and Richard clearing the way, I ran down and appropriated the RPG-8 launcher. I only had one shot, so I had to make it count. Sneaking through the darkness, I used the buildings to keep hidden and at last the rear of the tank was in sight, poking out from behind a house.

I hoisted the RPG to my shoulder and let fly. The tank was hit, the house shook, and I ran. Staying to look could be fatal. Besides, I was part of a team.

"Crew is out" reported Richard and I scambled up the bank. He and Greg took out all but one, who vanished into the town.

The streets were mostly clear. It was time to hunt down the dog. I crept back down and onto the main street. I was crossing the main street when I saw the body of another RPG soldier at my feet, and took his weapon. Climbing onto the dark mountain at the other side, I found Kahazi's hideout and hit it with the RPG.

BOOM! Half of the building collapsed. Nothing moved in the rubble. Richard moved to check the outside of the building and prevent an escape, while I entered the ruin and climbed the remnants of a staircase. Nothing. I turned to leave.

Above the staircase, standing on an untouched square meter of floor, stood Kahazi. He had a pistol in his hand but was looking down where the window had been, perhaps watching Richard.
I lowered my sniper rifle, and drew out my golden pistol. It was a special occasion, after all. "Goodnight, sweet prince". I shot him down as he had countless others.

As I ran out to my squad, HQ radioed in that we had to take out a secondary target, a SCUD launcher. How on earth could we do that with no hardware?

Just in time, another voice came over the radio. It was Ivan! Arriving to reinforce us, he had filled a truck with weapons and driven across Takistan to meet us. We loaded up some rockets, blew up the SCUD, and vanished back into the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment